Wednesday, February 16, 2011

2011 Preseason of NASCAR

Unlike most sports NASCAR's biggest race of the year is its very first one, the Daytona 500. Every year thousands of fans gather in Daytona for a solid week that starts off with the Bud Shootout the Saturday before and qualifying the next Sunday. When this week rolls around I get this feeling of joy and happiness but also sadness always hits me. This year marks the tenth year anniversary of the late Dale Earnhardt, who died on the final lap of the Daytona 500 in 2001. Ever since then watching a NASCAR race has been bitter-sweet. Dale was the first true athlete that I followed and really cheered for growing up and seeing him die on the final lap was the worst thing that could happen to me at the age of 10. Since his death I have kept up with the sport following Mark Martin and Dale Earnhardt Jr. but it just has not been the same since. But this year I will really be pulling harder than ever for Dale Jr. to win since it will be the tenth anniversary of Dale Sr. and I can not think of a better way to celebrate it than the championship being held in a Earnhardt's arms.
Now me wanting Dale Jr. to win and having me project him to win it is two different stories since he has not had a great track record in a while but I also think that this year Jimmie Johnson will not win for the sixth straight time as well. This year my pick might surprise some but also will make since once you think about it so with out further a due here it is....

12.  Brad Keselowski
11. Martin Truex Jr.
10. Jaime McMurray
9. A.J. Allmendinger
8. Kurt Busch
7. Kyle Busch
6. Jeff Gordon
5. Tony Stewart
4. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
3. Clint Bowyer
2. Jimmie Johnson
1. Carl Edwards

So there you have it, I have Carl Edwards finally breaking through and winning the Sprint Cup Championship but I don't expect Jimmie Johnson to give it up so easily. The biggest concern in my top 12 would have to be A.J. Allmendinger, he has not really proven too much but I went with my gut instead of my head...so hopefully gut won that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment